Sunday, July 10, 2005

Heaven Come Down!! - Brighton New Frontiers Leaders Conference 2005

Well what a week ... what a privilidge ... what a God!! I returned from Brighton absolutely staggered and amazed that God is just so awesome and yet I am tasting the first fruits!! Just the beginning! I can sincerely and honestly say that God has done far more than I ever could have imagined! I went with my feeble goals and aims and He has just simply blew me away with His glory, His grandeur, His awe!!

The conference was packed full as usual with seminars and main sessions. I went largely looking forward to hearing Terry Virgo again and was totally satisfied (more later!). It was fantastic to hear some new guys speak - especially Stephen Van Rhyms from Jubilee Church in South Africa (Simon Pettit's successor). He opened the conference with a mature and godly sermon on suffering. David Holden and Dave Devenish didn't fail to impress and satisfy. C J Mahaney predictably preached two sermons I have heard before on "The Cup" and "When Life Doesn't Make Sense". I have to say that the measure of anointing upon him was greatly greatly increased and it was so good to hear the pure vision of the Cross after the muddy waters of my experience in Bristol at the church.

I went to Peter Brookes in the first seminar on "Turning Church Inside Out". I have developed a deep love for this amazingly passionate guy. He has led CCK superbly one can tell and gave some amazing insights into church leadership and how it should be done. I left with some great notes, but more importantly an increased passion for God's Church. The second seminar was David Holden on "Handling Conflict". I wish I had gone to this seminar 2 and a half years ago before I joined the Sovereign "Grace" church in Bristol - it might have solved much heartache. Still ... much to put into practice in the future!! The final seminar was C J Mahaney on "Sovereign Grace". To be honest I wasn't that impressed. I've heard it before on DVD played in a home group and while his presentation of this doctrine is adequate, I think Sam Storms far outstrips him. See http://samstorms.com.

So the highlights ......

Scott (my first spiritual son!) became a Christian and received the Spirit!!! .....

I knew something was up when during a particularly passionate time of worship led by the amazing Kate Simmonds, he seemed like a ticking time bomb. He was responding extremely deeply to the songs we were singing and I knew that God's Spirit was at work. He told me on the way home that he had "taken the plunge" and had surrendered his life to God!! Hallelujah!! When we got home we all gathered to wait on God, bask in His Presence and pray and I felt led to get us to lay hands on Scott and pray that he received the baptism of the Spirit. Hungry he was ... for he was gloriously filled with the Spirit!! A prophecy came that he was to be used dramatically of God to become a teacher of His children, not just of children ... watch this space!!

Myth (my second spiritual son!) was awesomely touched by God!!! ....

Myth just came down for the Thursday. It was great for him to meet Steph my best friend and comrade-charismatic in arms and he testified that he came to the prayer meeting in the evening and heard God speaking powerfully to him telling him how welcome he was, and how passionately he was loved!! The worship that night was led by the flamboyant Evan Rodgers (of "Celebrate in the Lord" fame) and his African troope of dancers. My evangelical self cringed ... but Myth loved it!! Pure passion!! He left a bit early and we found him on the beach and were up till 3am talking of God, of His Son and of His Spirit. I felt so so close to him, and felt so honoured again to see God so powerfully at work. I have sacrificed much to keep this boy close to me particularly as I was "commanded" to cut him out of my life. I am so so passionately glad I listened to God and not some misguided men. For I felt God say again and again; "Vindicated! You are vindicated!!". I'm so excited to see these two boys become great and powerfully used in the Kingdom of God!!

The Church - the Passion of God's Son!! ...

You cannot be in a New Frontiers conference and come away unchanged in your view of church. It was just exhilarating to see their big vision of God and His church!! "I have seen the city of God and I cannot turn away!". Kate and Stuart have written some absolutely outstanding new songs that I guarantee will become a deep inheritance. Watch out for the new Live Worship CD coming out in September!! My favourite song was a hymn format that has taken the very biblical route of not stopping at the Cross (as some do) but proclaiming the glorious Resurrection and the fact that: "I will build My Church and Hell will not prevail!". It was particularly key in light of the hideous London bombings.

Terry Virgo - A Spiritual Giant ...

The biblical pattern of spiritual fathers has always been so close to my heart ever since I saw the pattern in Moses and Joshua - Elijah and Elisha. My constant prayer has been that God would provide such a figure for me, especially after I have been so fortunate to taste of what that will be like with my only true pastor Dr Stanley Jebb. To watch these men and learn off them! To see their passion for God and prayer!! So to be under Terry Virgo's fatherhood for the week was truly heaven. I had an amazing vision of the father heart of this man when after the offering the passionate Mobilise crowd came down to near the stage and danced round it to some of the great songs! For some reason Terry was the only elder on the platform with the band and the light and life radiating from him was breathtaking. You could see the love in his eyes as he watched his people dance and worship God.

Terry followed his example of last year and preached a 2-part series from Isaiah 9 and Judges on Gideon and the Battle of the Mideanites. He highlighted a pattern I have never seen before. That when the church is in peril, God raises up a prophetic voice, then anointed leadership and finally a great army!! Once again his passion for the Spirit of God shone through. We cannot and must not be charismatic in name only!! It is not enough to play around with the Spirit's gifts and want them for their own sake!! This is about God's Presence in His house!! We are to long for a "surging of the Spirit!!". The anointing with power that He brings cannot be substituted for anything!!

So ...........

It was truly the most powerful conference of my life. I came away with the usual heartache but rather than dreading returning to a church deficient in the Presence of the Spirit, I have come back so so excited to be linked to a family that is on the move!! I cannot stay angry at a group who aren't going anywhere!! We are a mobile people!! The lost are out there to be saved!! It is truly time to go!!

No comments: