Friday, January 13, 2006


They're Together Again - Right As We Speak ...

One of the great things about the internet is that it lets you know what is going on, on the other side of the world. So it seems that C J Mahaney preaching at John MacArthur's (who's ministry is characterised by a "relentless pursuit of truth" apparantly) church was not just a one-off odd event to puzzle those of us who think about such things, but a rather more regular event. John MacArthur's Grace Church is running a young people's conference called: "Resolved" and MacArthur and Mahaney are two of the four speakers. Even to a sort-of-critic of that pair like myself, I must admit that the conference looks impressive.

The goals of the conference are of course; "expository preaching" and from the trailer video I presume mostly on the Cross. However also; "Christ-exalting worship". I must admit I had to pick myself up off the floor and sit on my chair again when I saw John MacArthur preaching with drums in the background - I didn't think he did things like that. (I think I noticed hands being raised in the worship as well!)

The conference happens in January in California over a period of 3 days and the schedule looks quite packed with only 'concerts' in the afternoon to lighten the thinking time. There is a panel discussion (presumably with the speakers). Mahaney preaches twice as does MacArthur and special guest Mrs Mahaney speaks to the ladies attending the conference once.

Is the conference going anywhere? Yes they seek a "Great Awakening" aka Jonathan Edwards. What shall we say about it? One of my New Years Resolutions was not to speak evil of something unless I had good call for it. Therefore I am excited to see a conference that aims to change the culture in which we live and still believes that God can change and act in history especially with young people, as well as honouring preaching and worship. That being said I still don't see any reason to change previous observations on where things may end up! Great stuff - John MacArthur and co! May it bear fruit!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a well-researched and informed piece!! And well done for sticking to your Resolutions! I'll be the one to say it then ... another step along the road towards anti-charismatic cessationism for SGM then?!

Anonymous said...

Interesting - very interesting. Thanks for that pointer.

Anonymous said...

A fascinating and well-written piece! They seem a little married couple don't they?! ;) So are you going to get the CD's from this conference?

Dan Bowen said...

A good question - yes I think I am going to. It seems that MacArthur and Mahaney are the biggest proponents today of the Cross, and I am really trying to work through whether Ern Baxter had a point - namely that there is a danger of preaching "Redemption" as opposed to "Providence". Or to put it simply, we are preaching the Cross to get people saved and going to heaven, rather "making disciples of all nations". So I think this set will be informative to say the least.

Anonymous said...

Outrageous!! I wonder ... was the speaking fee 50 pieces of silver?!?! Oops ... does that mean I'm gonna get stoned now!?!?

Dan Bowen said...

The Mahaney's are safe back in Washington, all will be relieved to know. The Mahaney ladies have mentioned it in their blog for those interested:

http://girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/2006/01/resolved_and_q_.html

Dan Bowen said...

The Mahaney's are safe back in Washington, all will be relieved to know. The Mahaney ladies have mentioned it in their blog for those interested:

http://girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/2006/01/resolved_and_q_.html

Dan Bowen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan Bowen said...

Here's a blog from someone who was actually at the Mahaney/MacArthur conference:

http://www.hantla.com/blog/

Worth a read.