Thursday, October 16, 2008

ESV Study Bible Panel Discussion Videos

I've never really made a secret of the fact that I'm not a huge English Standard Bible fan - despite the vast popularity it carries among many of my hero Bible teachers such as Wayne Grudem or John Piper and so on. I do indeed have a version and use it out of interest to compare various Scriptures that intrigue me - but I still loyally prefer the New American Standard Version (Ern Baxter's version of choice).

However I was interested to find two Panel Discussion videos that were hosted by Justin Taylor interviewing J I Packer and Wayne Grudem discussing and talking about the ESV Study Bible. Here's Part 1;



And here's Part 2;



By the way I love hearing J I Packer in any format - preaching or discussion just as I love hearing Dr John Stott and tapes of Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones. I love the soft, lilting Queen's English that they bring! Anyhow - as I say the discussion is more for interest and posted by way of information rather than signalling a version change for myself. I don't know yet whether I will get hold of an ESV Study Bible. I do have a New American Standard Version Study Bible that is a wonderful resource with room in the margins for notes and pencillings. But I certainly would never say never.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Dan

One thing that makes me leery of the ESV bible is that so many Calvinists seem to push this version over all other translations. It kind of makes me wonder if this version was written to support that theological view. I am sure the study bible comments are written with this view in mind.

One also has to realize that the comments written in the study bible are just one man's or men's opinions. I would hope one wouldn't take these opinions as "gospel."

Again I sure they only give one side. Some study bibles I have seen have differing views shown so that one can decide for themselves. I doubt that the ESV study bible does that.

I personally like to look at various versions of the bible to compare how they translate the same Greek/Hebrew text. I also like to use various Greek and Hebrew lexicons to see what they say the word meant in the original language.