Friday, October 24, 2008

I'm FREE!!

Sometimes it's the simplest of songs that come as an awesome encouragement when times are dark. Things have all gone weird again at work which is rather upsetting. I'm trying to navigate walking the path of faith and needing help, advice and support from my G.P and other sources. It was quite a comfort reading something of C H Spurgeon's wrestling with depression (from The Christian's Heaviness and Rejoicing NPSP Vol 4, Year 1858, pg. 459, 1 Peter 1:6);


"I was lying upon my couch during this last week, and my spirits were sunken so low that I could weep by the hour like a child, and yet I knew not what I wept for — but a very slight thing will move me to tears just now — and a kind friend was telling me of some poor old soul living near, who was suffering very great pain, and yet she was full of joy and rejoicing. I was so distressed by the hearing of that story, and felt so ashamed of myself, that I did not know what to do; wondering why I should be in such a state as this; while this poor woman, who had a terrible cancer, and was in the most frightful agony, could nevertheless "rejoice with joy unspeakable, and full of glory."

That's exactly how I feel! Working in a hospice with kids who are so needy and yet feeling at times like I could just weep and not know why. Having the blessings of a roof over my head and food to eat (virtually) daily (when I have an appetite) and yet there are millions starving and homeless. Anyhow - this wasn't meant to be a post musing on depression and how to beat it. I wanted to highlight a song that I've heard before done by the amazing Hillsongs guys - but it was freshly renewed to me.

Here's the video;



And here's the lyrics ... I just LOVE them!

"would you believe me if I said....
that we are the ones who can make the change
in the world today....

would you believe me if I said...
that all of the dreams in your heart
can come true....today

would you believe me if I said...
that life could be all that you want it to be...
today..

Chorus:
and if I had wings I would fly'cause all that I need, you are...
and if the world caved in around me...
to you I'd still hold on'cause You're all that I believe...
and the one that created me...
JESUS...

because of you...I'M FREE

Verse 2:
would you believe me if I said...
that God can make miracles happen today....
would you believe me if I said..
that you don't need to wait for the answers before...
you step out in faith...would you believe me if I said...
that nothing is ever impossible...for God...

Bridge:
just live your life...with God inside..
you won't regret one moment of it...
and give all that you can for God, for God".

2 comments:

lydia said...

Thanks for the song, I had not yet heard it! Boy that looks like a fun place to be, is that Hillsong United in Australia? I particularly liked the line, " would you believe me if I said, that you don't need to wait for the answers before you step out in faith......"
I think I needed to hear that today - Blessings to you, I pray you keep getting freer and freer!!

Nick Cameron said...

Dan - I want to thank you for this awesome post! I know what you mean and where you are coming from! So often when depression hits in there comes an evaluating condemnation and a 'I shouldn't be like this' and then you real a whole list of 'why not's' and then feel worse because you feel so low! LOL! It's true!
But one day we will be in the best place to worship where countless worshippers will sing one song, where there will be no more tears, no more pain, no more heartache, no more depression, no more sadness, no more trying to make the grade, no more trying to live up to standards that are unattainable for mere mortals, no more sighing, no more grief, no more expectations weighing you down, no more fear, no more suffering....... the praise will be bigger than Hillsong and I reckon you will be on the front row dancing like a child, revelling in the Father delighting in you his dear adopted son.....be encouraged today even in the low times and the tough days one day you will be soaring, flying (more than any High School Musical LOL!).....