Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Remembering the Lives of Children

I don't often mention my job but I had quite an emotional day today. At present I am responsible for coordinating the staff and patient immunisation campaign programme against flu at Birmingham Children's Hospital. In the UK we are offering a "triple" vaccine that protects against swine flu as well as two other strains of flu that are present this winter.

I just got a bit sick today of the talk of "targets" and "percentages". The reason why I want to do my job as well as I can is because vaccines actually save lives! Last winter the swine flu virus claimed the lives of six children. I know children die all the time in hospital - but my particular focus is flu - and for that reason I hate the flu viruses very specially.

So I released six "BCH I've had the flu jab!" balloons into the air today to remember the lives of those children who were victims of swine flu - to remember what my job is REALLY about!

Here it is - it's only very short;

No comments: